Anyone who really knows me knows that I’m not really a big spender. There are only a few things I will willingly spend money on for myself, and I very rarely splurge on “luxury” items. So, for me to regularly drop some serious cash at Lush, you know it has to be good stuff.
I was first introduced to Lush in college by my friend Sarah who lived in Portland, Oregon during the summers. By that time, Lush was already all the rage in Portland and was steadily growing in popularity across the country. Once I finally got to try it for myself, I could see why. I was immediately hooked.
If you are unfamiliar with Lush, allow this to serve as your formal introduction. Made famous on Tumblr because of their colorful bath bombs, Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics is a Canadian company specializing in handmade, organic, self-preserving, and vegan bath and beauty products. I love Lush because it is all-natural, concerned with human and animal welfare, and environmentally conscious. Oh, and they make kick-ass products that smell great and really, really work. Here are some of my Lush must-haves:
5. “Honey Trap” lip balm – this ain’t your little sister’s lip balm. I have never used a lip balm as nourishing and glossy as this one. While Lush has a variety of different lip balms, this particular one is my favorite because of its honey scent and the fact that it is less grainy than other ones I’ve tried.
4. “It’s Raining Men” shower gel – Lush’s shower gel is amazing. It lathers really well, so a little dab goes a long way. This means that a large bottle lasts, like, forever. As I’ve mentioned previously, I love Lush’s honey-based products, so “It’s Raining Men” is my favorite, but there are several other scents to choose from.
3. “Tree Tea Water” toner – the tea tree toner water is a fantastic product to invest in for these hot, humid Ohio summer days. This toner balances skin tone, combats excess oils, and prevents breakouts without drying out your skin. You can even keep it in the fridge for an extra-cool spritz throughout the day.
2. “Buffy” body butter bar – the “Buffy” bar is a block of pure magic. This bar exfoliates and moisturizes at the same time, making it the perfect product to have on hand after a shower. It is particularly useful on legs after shaving because it helps to soothe the skin and prevent irritation.
1. Shampoo bar (various) – this is the product that first got me started on Lush and my number one must-have. The shampoo bar is literally a solid round of shampoo that you slide over your hair like a bar of soap. It lathers right up, lasts much longer than a standard bottle of shampoo, and leaves your hair feeling and smelling fantastic. There are a ton of different bars to choose from, ranging from ones that help with specific concerns (dandruff, oily scalp, hair loss, etc.) to ones that are purely meant to clean well and smell great.
So, there you have it! While these are my biggest must-haves, Lush has a huge selection of products for men and women alike. If you are interested in learning more about Lush, check out lushusa.com or visit your nearest Lush store. If you’re a Daytonian like me, the closest Lush location is at the new Liberty Center near West Chester, with other locations at Kenwood Mall in Cincinnati and Easton Town Center in Columbus. Regardless of which location you choose, I can guarantee you will encounter friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful employees, as well as plenty of in-store demonstrations and free samples! So check out Lush today!